Finding evidence of a rodent infestation can be worrisome any time of the year. However, it is more likely to occur during the wintertime as pests look to our homes as sanctuary from the harsh weather. Along with making your skin crawl, rats and mice in your home can present problems in the following ways:
- Causing electrical problems and fire hazards by chewing wires
- Decreasing your home’s efficiency or causing moisture problems by chewing through or stealing insulation for bedding
- Carrying diseases into your home
- Creating unsanitary living environment by leaving feces all over your home and chewing through food packaging
This time of year, your mind should be joyfully preoccupied with preparing for the holidays, not with the potential damage of a pest problem. Still, rodents typically reproduce quickly and can therefore grow from being a small nuisance to a big problem in no time. Unfortunately, a typical rodent can squeeze through a hole that is as small as a pencil eraser. Restore your peace of mind by running through these areas of your home and sealing any holes to prevent rodents from entering your house:
- The attic and the eves of your roof
- Anywhere where there is food such as the pantry and cupboards
- The baseboards of your home (be thorough, pulling away furniture from walls you may not have looked at in some time)
- Entries/exits such as windows and doors
- Check for cracks in the foundation
While you’re inspecting your home, if you notice any holes that look as though they are freshly chewed or find droppings these are signs that you already have unwanted visitors.
Family Pest Solutions offers complete rodent extermination services. However, we go beyond just extermination, and include exclusion methods to prevent rodents from re-entering your home. We use humane traps to catch and remove rodents, and we also perform inspections and offer tips that will help you prevent rodents from re-infesting your home.
Contact us today to schedule a free inspection of your home. We service the greater Capital District area including Albany, Troy, Schenectady, and Clifton Park, New York.