Ticks are a common topic when spring arrives. As the weather warms, ticks are more active and humans are more active in the outdoors too. Ticks are known for carrying Lyme disease. Understanding what ticks look like, how to recognize a tick infestation in your area, and tick prevention are key aspects to keeping your family and pets safe this season.
What ticks look like
Ticks are very small and sometimes hard to see. But once you know the key features of a tick, you’ll recognize one when you see it.
Features of a tick:
- When they have not fed ticks are oval shaped and flat
- Unfed fully mature adults are 2-6 millimeters
- Once fed, the body becomes inflated and is thick and round
- The inflated body can be up to 10 millimeters long
- Depending on life stage, ticks can have 6-8 legs
Recognizing a tick infestation
Knowing if there is a tick infestation comes down to finding ticks on a human or a pet’s body:
- Ticks may latch on to your body in any area
- Warm parts of the body are most common
- Check the groin, armpit, and scalp
Being proactive in tick prevention is the best way to prevent an infestation. Follow these tips to help prevent hosting a tick:
- After being outdoors, check yourself and pets for ticks before entering the house.
- When outside, wear long pants and socks, and tuck the pants inside the socks. Wear long sleeves and cover your head with a hat.
- Use an insect repellent proven to repel ticks.
- Keep the yard around your home mowed and the weeds tamed.
If you are concerned that you have a tick infestation, we are here to help! Family Pest Solutions offers a three-step pest control service that can help you eliminate and prevent ticks from invading your home. We inspect the property, identify where ticks can thrive, and then customize a solution. We treat vegetation close to your home and place a barrier around the perimeter of your yard. We use a Natural Botanical product (25-B – low risk). The active ingredient in our product is cedar-wood oil which offers some of the very best pest control against ticks while being low risk.
Contact us today to schedule a free inspection of your home. We service the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.