Happy Holidays! The season of peace and joy has arrived just in time to lift our spirits during a very difficult year. But before your celebrations begin, let’s take a look at a few seasonal tips to help prevent your holiday cheer from getting interrupted by unwanted pest guests.
- Check the Decoration Boxes. You probably haven’t touched those boxes of decorations since January, but pests might have. When bringing them out of storage, watch for signs of pests such as chew marks or feces. If you see anything of concern, take the box outside and carefully go through it.
- Pick Up the Cookie Crumbs. If you are baking up a storm, make sure you clean up when you’re done to avoid leaving remnants that may attract pests. After you’re done enjoying those Christmas cookies, be sure to check for crumbs and clean up any spills before calling it a night so that you don’t wake up to an ant invasion.
- Throw Out the Paper and Packaging. After the gift opening frenzy ends, don’t go for the easy cleanup method of throwing all of the paper and packaging into the garage for another day. This is just asking for rodents to start getting comfy. Instead, take a few minutes to separate the trash from the recycling and take it out to the cans.
- Stack the Firewood Wisely. We all love a cozy fireplace or woodstove during the holidays. Be sure to stack firewood away from the exterior wall of your home so that pests don’t start taking shelter right next to your shelter. When bringing wood inside, give it a quick check for spiders.
- Stay Vigilant. Pests are looking for refuge from the cold elements of winter. Keep an eye out for signs of pests in your garage, shed or home such as feces, shredded materials, and chew marks.
If you suspect a pest issue in your home this holiday season, Let Our Family Protect Yours. Contact us to schedule a free inspection of your home. Family Pest Solutions proudly offers pest control services to the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.