Valentine’s Day is almost here, which means it’s time to talk LOVE! However, we’re not going down the typical road of roses, chocolates and greeting cards. Instead, let’s take a look at what mice love. Why? Because if you know what they love, then you know what to take away so that they aren’t attracted to your home.
So what do mice love?
- Food – Mice are constantly seeking food. They’ll go for human food, pet food, bird food, you name it. It is best to keep food in your home or garage in sealed containers and to clean up any spills right away.
- Water – Dog dishes, clogged gutters, bird baths, leaky faucets…these types of things that harbor standing water make an easy watering hole for mice. Remove the water source to discourage mice.
- Shelter – Mice seek refuge out of the elements in cozy, warm places. They can get inside through holes as small as a dime. So check your doors, windows, foundation, vents, etc. for places where mice could potentially get in.
- Clutter – Mice might also seek shelter in areas where there is clutter such as piles of debris or stacks of wood. On a similar note, overgrown vegetation can provide refuge for mice. Keep the areas surrounding your home clutter-free and well-maintained.
- Chewing – To keep their constantly growing teeth under control, mice chew a lot. Cardboard, old magazines, plastic, wood and wires are prime chewing candidates. Keep these items out of reach and out of sight.
If you suspect a mouse infestation, it is best to contact a rodent control professional like Family Pest Solutions to evaluate the issue and implement an effective rodent control solution. Contact us today to schedule a free inspection of your home. We service the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.