Bed bugs are a very common pest for residences and hotels. Bed bugs are very small and hard to see, so they often go unnoticed and spread from location to location (i.e. your hotel room to your home). Let’s learn a little more about them today!
Bed Bug Facts:
- Bed bugs can live for several months without a blood meal, meaning they can linger in furniture for a long time before needing a human to return.
- During the daytime, bed bugs hide to stay out of view. At night, the carbon dioxide we exhale lures them out of hiding.
- Bed bugs typically feed for 5 to 10 minutes once they find a host, and they leave bite marks which are often how people discover that they have a bed bug infestation.
- After feeding, bed bugs hide for 5 to 10 days while digesting, mating and laying eggs.
- The saliva of bed bugs contains components that act as an anesthetic and promote increased blood flow at the site of the bite, resulting in a quick and mostly painless process which likely will not wake up the host.
You can help deter bed bugs by checking furniture before bringing it into the house, using a cover on mattresses and box springs, reducing clutter, vacuuming often, and using shared laundry facilities wisely.
If you suspect a bed bug infestation, please contact us for a free inspection. We offer residential pest control and commercial pest control for the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.