Squirrels are resourceful creatures that often find creative ways to adapt to their surroundings. While they may be entertaining to watch in a park or your backyard, having them seek shelter in your commercial building can pose various challenges. The following are some signs that indicate squirrels might be considering your commercial space as their new home:
- Unusual Noises: One of the first signs that squirrels might be seeking shelter in your building is the presence of unusual noises. Squirrels are agile climbers and can easily access roofs and attics. If you hear scratching, scurrying, or rustling sounds coming from above, it could be a signal that these furry creatures have made their way into your space.
- Chewed or Damaged Wiring: Squirrels have a natural instinct to chew on objects, including electrical wiring. If you notice chewed or damaged wires in your commercial building, it could be a clear indication that squirrels are present. Damaged wiring not only poses a fire hazard but can also lead to expensive repairs.
- Droppings: Squirrel droppings are another sign of their presence. These small, pellet-like droppings are often found near their nesting areas. Inspect the perimeter of your building, especially in areas where squirrels may gain access, to identify any droppings.
- Gnawed Openings: Squirrels are adept chewers and can create openings in various materials, including wood, plastic, and even metal. Check for gnawed openings in your building, especially around vents, eaves, and fascia boards. Squirrels may use these openings to access and build nests in your commercial space.
- Nests or Nesting Materials: Keep an eye out for nests or nesting materials, such as leaves, twigs, and shredded insulation. Squirrels build nests in secluded areas, and if they’ve chosen your commercial building, you may find these structures in attics, crawl spaces, or other hidden corners.
- Visible Squirrel Activity: Sometimes, the most straightforward sign is observing squirrels around your building. If you frequently see these creatures on your roof, near vents, or near the structure, it’s a strong indication that they are considering your commercial space for shelter.
Detecting early signs of squirrel infestation is crucial to prevent potential damage and ensure the safety of your commercial building. If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, it’s advisable to consult with pest control professionals to address the issue promptly. Taking proactive measures can help safeguard your property and maintain a pest-free environment for both employees and customers.
If you would like to discuss services or schedule your free inspection, contact us today! We service the greater Capital District area including Albany Schenectady Saratoga and Rensselaer counties.