Even though there are an estimated ten billion ants existing on the planet, it can still come as a shock to some home owners when they’ve discovered an infestation has taken route in their home. If you’re one of the many homeowners who is less than pleased with these tiny houseguests, you’re in the right place.
If you’re bothered by their presence, and want to keep ants out of your home, it’s important to understand why they’re there. There are three main reasons that ants come into the home:
- To scavenge for food.
- To find water if there’s a drought or particularly dry season.
- To avoid flooding or high water levels outdoors.
Once you understand these motivations, it’s easy to know what preventative measures to take. So how do you prevent ants from getting inside? Simple:
- You keep your house clean of any food scraps. This includes tricky spots like under the stove and fridge and inside cabinets and drawers.
- Make sure that moisture buildup isn’t happening in bathrooms, basements and other wet areas of the home.
- Keep up on home repairs to ensure there are no points of entry. Cracks in the foundation, holes in the walls, and even tears in window and door screens are popular ways for ants to get in.
- Always disinfect areas where food was spilled, to remove the scent left behind.
If you find yourself already dealing with an ant colony moving in, and would like to learn more about ant control options for your home, please contact us for a free inspection. We offer residential pest control and commercial pest control for the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.